Apostille – Document authentication and legalization in Canada

Published on Monday, September 9, 2013

When planning to work or live abroad, you will be asked to have your personal and educational documents authenticated and legalized, also referred to as apostille. This entire process centers on signature verification. Therefore, each different type of document will need to meet specific requirements.

We work with Foreign Affairs and over 200 diplomatic missions to process personal and educational documents. Foreign Affairs (DFATD) and each diplomatic mission have very specific requirements for the authentication and legalization of Canadian documents.

For example, DFATD will only authenticate educational documents issued by Canadian educational institutions recognized by the provincial/territorial ministries of education. If the recognized degree or transcript is signed and sealed by the appropriate office of the registrar with a full signature, name and title clearly present, it does not have to be notarized. 

Also, some diplomatic missions require that your educational institution mail them a sealed record of transcript in order to legalize your degree or diploma. It is important to identify whether the diplomatic mission in question requires this step, as it could cause a delay in the legalization process.

For further information or to discuss the authentication and legalization of your documents with one of our specialists, you may contact us toll free at 1-888-433-1011, or visit us at idocscanada.ca .

Contact Us

1-888-433-1011Toll-free in North America

00+1+613-701-0533Outside North America

info@idocscanada.caSend us an email