Property Deed authentication and legalization for use in the United States

Published on Thursday, January 2, 2014

Whether you are buying or selling a property in the United States, you may be asked to get an Apostille on your Property Deed or other personal documents. Canada is not a member of the Hague Apostille Convention. Therefore, we do not have the apostille process. The Canadian equivalent is called authentication and legalization.

The process of authenticating and legalizing a Canadian document for use in the Unites States involves two steps. First, your document must be authenticated at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFATD) in Ottawa. Next, it must be legalized at the Embassy of the United States. For more information about the authentication and legalization process itself, have a look at this helpful article – Apostille Services Explained.

You can manage the process yourself. However, it can be costly and take up to six weeks. For example, the diplomatic missions of the United States operate on an in-person, appointment only basis and these appointments can take weeks to get.

We specialize in managing the authentication and legalization of Canadian documents destined for the United States. We will ensure your documents are processed quickly, often in as little as two days.

For more information, contact us toll free at 1-888-433-1011, or visit us at

Contact Us

1-888-433-1011Toll-free in North America

00+1+613-701-0533Outside North America

info@idocscanada.caSend us an email