What is Protocolization?

Published on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Many Canadians are enjoying their retirement in Ecuador. However, there is a little known process required of your documents in order to complete your Visa or resident application.

First, you will need to have your Canadian documents go through the authentication and legalization process. For more information on this process, take a look at this helpful article – What is authentication and legalization?

Your specific document requirements may depend upon your personal situation. Here are some examples of commonly requested documents:

• Birth certificate
• Marriage certificate
• Death certificate
• Criminal record check
• Proof of pension

In addition to having your documents authenticated and legalized, you may also be asked for “Protocolization”. After you have provided them with valid proof of pension, the Embassy of Ecuador will prepare a letter in Spanish that confirms and outlines your pension income. This letter is referred to as protocolization.

We recommend that you contact the Embassy of Ecuador to discuss your situation and ensure you have everything you need.

International Documents Canada (IDC) is the expert in authentication and legalization of Canadian documents for use in Ecuador and around the world. We would welcome a chance to discuss your particular situation and help you with the process.

Contact us toll free at 1-888-433-1011 or visit us at idocscanada.ca .