How do I get a copy of my Ontario Divorce Order or Certificate of Divorce?

Published on Friday, May 17, 2013

A copy of your Ontario divorce order or Certificate of Divorce can be required for any number of reasons, and especially in matters relating to a name change, property transfer, or marriage abroad. How can you get a copy of these documents?

In Ontario, a Divorce Order or Certificate of Divorce is issued from the court office where the proceeding was filed. You will need to either go in person to the court office or send a request by mail. You can find detailed instructions here. For your convenience, here is a listing of Ontario Courts. If your divorce happened prior to 1979 you’ll need to get your record from the Archives of Ontario, as described here.

If you will be presenting your Divorce Order or Certificate of Divorce in a foreign country, you will need to have your document authenticated and legalized, also known as apostille. You can find out more about the Canadian authentication and legalization process in this helpful article – What is Authentication and Legalization?

At International Documents Canada we specialize in helping our clients with the authentication and legalization of Canadian documents. If you need your Divorce Order or Certificate of Divorce recognized in a foreign country, give us a call us toll-free at 1-888-433-1011 or visit us at

Contact Us

1-888-433-1011Toll-free in North America

00+1+613-701-0533Outside North America

info@idocscanada.caSend us an email