TESL, TEFL and TESOL Certificate Authentication at Global Affairs Canada (GAC)

Published on Monday, January 8, 2018

The Authentication of Documents Office (JLAC) at Global Affairs Canada (GAC) has implemented new rules for the authentication of your teaching documents. Before your TESL, TEFL or TESOL certificate can be authenticated, you must confirm that it originates from an educational institution that has a valid membership with one of their accredited organizations; TESL Canada, TESL Ontario and Languages Canada. The complete list of members of each organization may be found on the Global Affairs Canada (GAC) website.

Have you confirmed your TESL, TEFL or TESOL teaching certificate qualifies?

Once you have determined that your certificate is indeed from an educational institution listed, the next step is to determine whether it will need to be notarized. The requirement for notarization will depend on whether the issuing educational institution is an accredited Canadian University or College. If your teaching certificate was issued by a private institution, it will need to be notarized by a Canadian notary public before it can be authenticated.

We encourage you to review the authentication requirements of Global Affairs Canada (GAC), as these requirements may change without notice.

What is document authentication?

Document authentication is a process of signature verification that can happen at the provincial or federal level, depending on your situation. Most commonly the authentication is done at the authentication of documents office (JLAC) at Global Affairs Canada (GAC) in Ottawa.

After authentication, the last step of the process is legalization at the embassy or consulate of the destination country. Other commonly used terms for this process globally are apostille, attestation and super legalization.

How document authentication services can help!

We specialize in processing Canadian documents, such as TESL, TEFL and TESOL certificates.  Let us take care of the authentication and legalization of your educational and personal documents. By personally managing the process and walking your documents in to the Authentication of Documents Office (JLAC) at Global Affairs Canada (GAC), we save you weeks of processing time.

We can also manage the legalization of your documents at the embassy or consulate of the destination country. Ensuring they meet all the requirements and returning your documents with all the stamps and signatures necessary to use them abroad.

For more information feel free to call us toll free at 1-888-433-1011 or complete an online request form .