Have your Canadian academic documents recognized in foreign countries

Published on Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Canadian educational programs are recognized worldwide and individuals who have studied in Canada report rich, rewarding academic experiences. Taking your credentials globally in order to enhance your professional career can certainly provide you with unique life experiences and boost your resume.

However, the process of having Canadian academic achievements recognized outside of the country is often found to be frustrating. Canadian academic documents, such as degrees, diplomas and transcripts, need to go through a process called authentication & legalization. Other terms for this process that you may be familiar with include apostille, attestation and superlegalization. For more information on the authentication and legalization process, take a look at this helpful article “Apostille Services Explained.”

The first step of the authentication & legalization process involves having the academic documents (including transcripts, reports cards, diplomas, TESL/TESOL/TEFL certificates, etc.) authenticated at Global Affairs Canada. The second step is to have the authenticated documents legalized at the embassy or consulate of the destination country.

While this two-step process is theoretically straightforward, in practice it can be complicated. Every country has unique rules and regulations about the authentication & legalization process and it can be difficult to obtain this information. Details are critical – do the documents need to be notarized first? Are there any supporting documents that need to be submitted, and in a specific manner?

Without expert assistance, the process typically takes many weeks or months. How can you ensure that you have your educational document processed properly?

Do your research and consider the option of hiring an authentication and legalization service to handle it on your behalf. Ensuring your academic achievements are recognized abroad will cement the positive experience of beginning your career abroad. We will happily facilitate the process, then ship your documents back to you or onto your new school or employer.

With the right information and resources, this final process can be fast and easy. Call IDC toll free at 1-888-433-1011, or visit idocscanada.ca .