Phone toll-free at 1-888-433-1011

Many people have never heard of a single status document until they are suddenly told they need one. This brief article looks the purpose of single status documents, why you may need to have your single status document legalized, and provides information about the process to legalize your single status document.

What is a single status document?

A single status document confirms the fact that you are not currently married and can legally get married. If you are a resident of Canada that is getting married in a foreign country you will frequently need to provide a single status document.

What type of document do I need to prove I am single?

In Canada, there are actually three types of documents you can get to prove you are single:

  1. A single status declaration
  2. A provincial marriage search certificate
  3. A statement in lieu of certificate to non-impediment to marriage abroad

If you have been told you need to provide a Canadian single status document in order to get married in a foreign country, we strongly recommend that you confirm which of these three types of documents will be accepted. You may want to have a look at our website for a list of embassies and their particular requirements. However, the final authority on what type of single status document will be accepted is the party to whom you will be submitting your document. If you are struggling to confirm the type of single status document that you need, our staff can provide advice and assistance. Call our friendly staff to discuss your questions toll-free at 1-888-433-1011.

What is the purpose of legalizing a single status document?

The Canadian legalization process is used to certify the authenticity of a Canadian document so that it will be accepted as legitimate in another country. Canadian single status documents frequently need to be legalized before they are recognized in other countries.

Are there other names for the Canadian legalization process?

There are several different names used to describe the Canadian document legalization process. You might hear this process called “document authentication and legalization”, the “apostille process”, or “document attestation”. In Canada, all of these terms refer to the same process.

How do I get a Canadian single status document?

A single status declaration is a statement that you make which you sign and have notarized by a Canadian Notary Public.

A provincial marriage search certificate is a document that may be ordered from your province of residence that states you do not have a marriage registered in that province.

A Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad is a document that can be requested from Global Affairs Canada, or from an embassy or consulate of Canada abroad. You should know that the Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to Marriage Abroad is no longer a personalized document, it is generic and does not include any personal details. We suggest you also process a single status declaration if you require the Statement in Lieu.

What is involved in legalizing a single status document?

The Canadian document legalization process has three steps:

Step One: Document Preparation

Before submitting documents to be legalized you will need to make sure they meet all the requirements set by three different parties: Global Affairs Canada (who will be authenticating your documents), the relevant embassy or consulate (who will be legalizing your documents), and the person or organization who will be receiving your processed documents. Preparing your documents can involve notarization, having a certified true copy made, having the document translated, or providing various supporting documents.

Step Two: Authentication

After obtaining the proper single status document and ensuring it meets the requirements for processing, your document then needs to go to Global Affairs Canada (GAC) for authentication. GAC will review that all is in order with your single status document, and if satisfied, will place a large red stamp directly on your document, confirming it has been authenticated.

Step Three: Legalization

After having your single status document authenticated by Global Affairs Canada, it will then need to be legalized by the embassy or consulate of the country where you are getting married. The relevant embassy or consulate will review your authenticated document and if they find all is in order, they’ll add a stamp, sticker, or certificate to your document, confirming it has been legalized. Your single status document will now be recognized in the country in which you are getting married.

Can I get help with legalizing my single status document?

At International Documents Canada, we specialize in managing the legalization process for our clients. You send us your documents and we do the rest on your behalf, rapidly returning your legalized single status document. If needed, we can also assist you to figure out which type of single status you need and help you obtain this document. When you call our friendly experts, we’ll take the time to understand your particular situation and answer your questions. We’ll then clearly explain your options and provide you with a detailed quote, so you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about how you would like to proceed. Contact us online today or call us toll-free at 1-888-433-1011 to get started with your free consultation.

Click for the BBB Business Review of this Legal Information Services in Ottawa ON

IDC is proud to have been recognized by the Better Business Bureau with a Torch Award for Market Place Trust