Document Attestation in Canada

Published on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Attestation or Document Attestation is another term used for the process of authentication and legalization (Canadian Apostille) of your documents.

The term Attestation is commonly used by Embassies and High Commissions and often refers to the legalization of Canadian educational documents.

We frequently work with Embassies to process educational documents such as college certificates, university degrees, transcripts, and high school diplomas. Both the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAIT) and the Embassies have very specific requirements for the authentication and legalization of these documents.

  • DFAIT will only authenticate educational documents issued by Canadian educational institutions recognized by the provincial/territorial ministries of education. If the recognized degree or transcript is signed and sealed by the appropriate office of the registrar with a full signature, name and title clearly present, it does not have to be notarized.

In order to have a photocopy of a Canadian degree or transcript authenticated, it must be in the form of a certified true copy, signed and sealed by either the relevant office of the registrar or a Canadian notary or commissioner of oaths.

  • Many Embassies also require that your educational institution mail them a sealed record of transcript in order to legalize your degree or diploma. It is important to identify whether the diplomatic mission in question requires this step as it could cause a delay in the legalization process.

Whatever the term used for the authentication and legalization process for your Canadian documents, we can help get it done.

For further information or to discuss your Authentication and Legalization needs with one of our specialists, you may contact us toll free at 1-888-433-1011, or visit us at