Taking a family trip to Mexico – update on requirements for Consent to Travel letters

Published on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Changes to the regulations of the Mexican Migration Law slated to take effect in February 2013 have now been postponed until 2014. These changes will affect the documentation required when you travel to Mexico with a minor.

Currently, in order for a minor to travel with you to Mexico they will need to bring the following documentation: a valid passport and a notarized Consent to Travel letter, along with a Spanish translation of the consent.

What is a Consent to Travel letter?

Minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age must present, in addition to a valid passport, a notarized document giving consent from both parents or legal guardians for the minor to travel outside of their resident country.

How does the change in regulation affect you?

Once the new regulation of the Mexican Migration Law takes effect, your Consent to Travel letter will also need to be authenticated and legalized, also known as “apostille”. For more information on the authentication and legalization process, click here.

It is important to be aware of new laws and regulations that may affect your travel plans. Make sure you do your research well in advance. We also encourage you to contact us or visit the Embassy of Mexico website for updated travel requirements.

Contact your IDC specialist to discuss your specific needs and to ensure your family has the right documentation before you leave for your vacation.

If you have more questions about the authentication and legalization process, please feel free to contact us at International Documents Canada (IDC). We would be happy to discuss your particular needs and point you in the right direction. Phone toll free 1-888-433-1011 or visit us at idocscanada.ca.